Monday 18 November 2013

400 IM- Not as Fast as I used to be.



Okay, here it is,  my first 400m IM in a long time. I'm in the second lane with the green cap. This is the first of the 3 events I raced at the Brantford International this month.  It is difficult for me to watch, especially the backstroke and the freestyle, as those two strokes I struggle with.  The last 100 metres was definitely the hardest!

As someone who swam well competitively as a child and young adult it can be difficult to awaken to the realization that I am not what I used to be. As I have said in previous posts though, it is time to start anew.  To find a new baseline and work from there.  As an adult we do not have the luxury of sleeping on the bus/ car on the way to the meet, or going to 6-10 workouts a week with our only other big responsibility, doing well at school.  Many of you, just like me, have full time careers, kids, and homes to manage. Our current goals should be based on the amount of time we can commit to the sport,  for me, that is 4 hours swimming per week, not the 20 hours/week of long ago.  Be the best you can be for the time you can commit.


No comments:

Post a Comment