Sunday 17 August 2014

WORLDS, Part 2-- The Experience

My Family in Montreal
FINA Masters World Championships provided more than just an amazing competition, it gave me the opportunity to meet new people, enjoy time with my friends, and go on a week long trip with my family.  The food and accommodations were stellar.

The week started when my family picked me up for the 7 hour drive to Montreal. We met at a spot along the QEW Toronto, as they came from London and I live in Niagara.  It felt like the old days; like I was 12 years old.  My brother, Johnny, and I rode in the back of the car while my Dad and his fiance sat in the front.  It was just like old times, kids in the back telling the parents up front to turn off the GPS cause your going the wrong way anyway,  and you know, you can drive faster. Then my Dad retorting" if you don't be quiet I'll pull this car over and you can walk."  We hit several rest stops along the way, but we finally made it to registration at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel.
Johnny, Terri, and Me
Registration


With my nieces Kendra and Kayla
Enjoying a fresh Montreal Bagel
Now these are fresh Bagels!












We went from registration to the apartment we had rented in The Plateau near Mont Royal.  I will never stay in a hotel again while on vacation in Montreal.  It was a great experience living in the area, easily enjoying the many local restaurants, bagel shops, bakeries, and breweries. We lived in the neighbourhood with the locals, watched a movie being filmed down the street, and helped my Dad use public transit for the first time. By the end of the week, Dad and Pat were pros at using the bus and riding the metro, and I learned where I get my ability to strike up a conversation with complete strangers....Dad.
Johnny, Dad, Pat, Me, Kendra
at the Metro 

Photo bombed!!











We enjoyed a great night out on Rue St. Laurent, dinner and a bit of shopping (I bought a dress that I saw in one of the shop windows).  We were photo bombed, and also saw some amazing metal sculptures in an army surplus store.
Me and Metal Captain Jack

At the pool I watched many old and new friends perform amazing times, shared in the excitement of their swims and built stronger friendships with some.  Special mention goes to Sarah Armstrong, whom I compete with all year, who kicked some butt and did best times in all her events, beating her short course times and coming home with a top 10 medal in the 200m breast!  Also to Andrew Cole, who in a few short weeks took almost 14 seconds off his time in the 100m breaststroke.  My sister, Terri MacDougall, reached her goal and came home with 3 top 10 finishes, and my brother, Johnny  Hewerdine, who put in some great times to move himself up the rankings and finished top 20 in his 100m butterfly.

Greg Streppel, Me, Mike West
Between us we brought home 12  silver and bronze medals.

Before Worlds I was worried about some of my competitors.  I was intimidated by their successes.  While at the meet I discovered that they were all wonderful, amazing women, with normal lives just like me.  I met Wenke Seider and her family on the metro.  She was friendly and offered great advice on training and workout tips.  Claudia Poll brought her daughter along to watch her swim, and I thoroughly enjoyed spending some time with Lisa Blackburn.  I wish Nicola Latty lived closer to me as I'd like to spend more time with her, she is very funny.  My new Facebook friend Sarah Fisher and I met in person right before the 100m butterfly.  She has an amazing story and has accomplished so much in her life, I find her to be an inspiration.

So that's it.  The event is done.  Now what?  

For me, I will continue in Masters Swimming, you may even see me racing at Worlds when I'm 79, however I'm also taking on a new endeavour for the coming year.  I've always wanted to race in a few triathlons; the first one is August 30...

No comments:

Post a Comment