Thursday 30 June 2016

Better late than Never

Entering the finishing shoot Ironman 70.3 Eagleman 2016


Busy seems to be the theme of my life, as it is for many others.  "I at least got in 30 min of that 60 min run today", is not unusual to hear from me.  Since I've returned home from Ironman 70.3 Eagleman two and one half weeks ago it's been non-stop.  Business meetings, presentations, kids activities and school year end, it's just now that I am sitting down to write my race report on Eagleman. Better late than never, right.   I had written down each section of the race and what happened with in it, then changed my mind.  Instead here are my Top 10 experiences from the event.  




Eagleman Top 10 List


Cody Beals
10. The highlight of the awards ceremony was Canadian Pro Triathlete, Cody Beals.  He won the event overall.  He was asked to say a few words about his race.  He didn't speak about "his" race; he was humble and articulate. He spoke about the race itself. The people watching, the volunteers, the organisers.  He had a way of commanding the stage and endearing the crowd to him.  I'm proud to say Cody is representing Canada.  He is a great ambassador for triathlon in this country.


9. While racking my bike in the Silver All World Athlete area (which is really cool) I met two amazing ladies from the Betty Designs Team.  Both were incredibly talented triathletes and both were kind, supportive and encouraging women.  After the race they both came over and congratulated me. I'm hoping to see them both again at another race this year.  What I'm learning is the triathlete community is an amazing and positive group to be
part of.

8.  The Volunteers! It's 4:45 am.  Most people are still asleep.  The volunteers at the Ironman event were lined up at the entrance of transisiton cheering for every athlete coming in to prep their bikes for the event.  They set the tone for the day.  They helped all of us to make it through the sweltering heat of this race and remain upright and positive.  Thank you.

Finish line
7. Coming across the finish line thinking that I'd come in 2nd place for my age group and learning that I actually won!  Then finding out that I did a best time and actually placed 6th overall for women.

6.  Watching other athletes in the race persevere after having bike crashes.  I rode by one gentleman who had blood pouring down his arm. He was riding on and determined to make it to the end of this event.  Another man I saw come into the finish of his race, he had fallen from his bike, he had blood and gravel all in his face! He continued on the bike and finished the 21.1km run.  The perseverance and determination is beyond inspiring.

5. The drive to Eagleman.  Yes the drive.  My friend Christina and I drove together.  We left on Wednesday night and stopped in to visit my dad in the Fingerlakes.  We stayed the night there and after a short morning run and a nice breakfast continued our trek to Maryland.  We never turned  on the car radio.  We talked to whole trip!  Coach Lee and Natalie met us along the way and we were able to stop for lunch and socialize.  It truly was a great road trip to Maryland (and back).


Front: Natalie, Cindy, Diana
Back: Kevin, Bernard, Sheila,
Lee, Christina
4. Going to this race with the team.   There were 8 of us from Tri-Hart that competed at Eagleman.  We all stayed in the same hotel.  We went out for lunch and dinner together, and did our race prep together.  It was a lot of fun.  There is an amazing energy that is created when the team is together.  It really helps boost the morale and keep the nerves in check.




3. Tri-Hart placed 2nd overall for Team Division V! Three of our team mates were the fastest out of the water for their perspective age groups!  Yes, we have a large swimmer contingent on our team.











Coach Lee, Bernard, Sheila, Kevin
2. Watching my teammates perform their bests at the event! It was a hot day, to say the least.  If you read any of the race reports or the forums about Eagleman, that is the one common thread you will see in every commentary.  Although there were many athletes that dropped out due to the heat, everyone of our team finished the race and finished well!  We all could pick each other out on the course in our new team gear and cheer each other forward and keep each other going.  There is no underestimating the power of TEAM.

1. That every time I race I go out thinking I'm going to do my best and whatever happens happens.  That I was satisfied thinking I'd placed 2nd and surprised and elated to learn I was 1st.  I am grateful for the ability that I've been given, the opportunity to try my hand at this sport, and the support I receive from my family, friends, teammates, and coach.  My win is really our win.
Leaderboard results from Eagleman.




Next up?  

Ironman Mont Tremblant.  And yes, I am terrified.






No comments:

Post a Comment