Friday 7 October 2016

The Decision to Go PRO....at 42

Sketchers Performance Barrelman Triathlon 2016, L to R,  Angela Quick, Miranda  Tomenson,
Jennie Hansen, Sheila Treleaven, Leah Sherriff
When I turned down Kona last month, at Ironman Mont Tremblant, there were some rumblings that I may be a bit crazy. It was a decision I made during the race and one that I am still content with.  However my latest choice has been receiving a few raised eyebrows as well.  A few weeks ago I received my Professional Triathlete designation, raced my first local race, Barrelman Triathlon, as a Pro, and  signed up for Ironman 70.3 Miami, in 2 weeks, racing in the Pro Wave, right up front (with the jellyfish and sharks).

Why would I do this when I'm top of my Age Group in my Ironman races? I'm under no delusions, I will not be top of the podium as an Ironman Pro, yet.  I only started training and racing triathlon just exactly 2 years ago. I could stay as an Age Group athlete and continue to compete as I have been this past year, but at the age of 42, I met all the criteria to go Pro.  I do not have 5 years to build strength in my legs and master my bike skills, get my transitions down to a science and learn to run a little faster before turning pro.  I have only now.  Those needed triathlon skills I am learning and will continue to learn as I go.  I will need to learn them fast because if I don't, I'm certain to take a beating in the rankings by the amazing athletes I get to watch and race against.  

Yes, I have fear

Me and my girls.
Of course I am a little afraid.  There are amazing athletes out there, some that have been competing for a long time, and some fresh and young, all of them fast.  Something that my husband and I try to teach our children is, although you may be a little afraid you still need to try.  Failure is what ultimately leads to success.  Bravery is not being without fear, it's acting even when you are afraid.  I'm stepping into a world I know little about. I'm doing it at the age of 42.  I have three amazing children, a career with a fantastic company, a household to run, and now training to squeeze in.  I don't have the luxury of training as my only job, my career is full time, and getting my kids to their activities is also crazy busy.  I don't get the recovery time that I should.  Luckily I have supportive family, friends to help with advice and driving the kids when needed, and a great coach to work around my crazy life. 

You will not hear me speak of back to back 8 hour training days, or of catching a nap of more than 25 minutes during the day, once or twice a week, however you will see me talk about how it is possible to do things you only imagined were for "other people".    

Continue to Chase Doubt Away

3rd place Multisport Barrleman
 Triathlon
Two years ago I laughed, inside and out, when my coach told me I had talent to go pro.  "Do you know how old I am?" I asked him.  I still sometimes think that, especially when the day has been long at work, sandwiched by 2 workouts, driving the kids to the pool, or picking up my eldest daughter from work at 10 pm when I'd rather be asleep.  My doubts are there, did I make the right choice to go pro?, how badly am I going to get beaten in my first race? How can I improve the way those girls do with my time spread between all my responsibilities?  Then I remember I need to chase them away.

Regardless of whether I am top of the podium or not, I earned the spot as a pro based on my times and overall placings at the Ironman races I've competed in.  My bike will only get better as each month goes by with more and more time in the saddle, and the same with the run.  My swim, it will continue to hold it's own.  

Doubts are always there but shouldn't keep us from striving for goals, reaching, way outside our comfort zone, and taking a shot at something, even if it seems impossible, unrealistic, or a bit crazy.  Sometimes we don't have time to make our doubts go away completely.  Sometimes we only have what's right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment